PE & Sports Premium
PE and Sport at The Fryern Federation
Both schools aim to provide all our pupils with a rich, varied and rewarding sporting experience. At Fryern our aim is to encourage a healthy lifestyle and participation in sporting activity in an inclusive environment while challenging children to compete against themselves and others.
Our P.E. curriculum offers every child two hours of sporting, physical activity each week incorporating a mixture of games, gymnastics, swimming (years 5/6) and dance activities.
In addition to this, the schools offer a diverse mix of extra-curricular sporting activities from football and karate to dance. Annual residential trips in year 6 allow our pupils to take part in some sports they have never tried before including rock climbing, abseiling, surfing, kayaking and even ringo riding! We have encouraged children to be more active in getting to school through walk to school weeks, bikeability and scooter training. Bling your bike or scooter events has also encouraged children to be more active. We actively promote and celebrate children’s out of school sporting achievements through celebration assemblies eg trampolining, badminton and baton twirling.
We have both infant and junior sports leaders. These children take on responsibility for organising sports equipment and give input into future areas for sports development in the schools.
Our P.E. curriculum aims to promote health and fitness through education, participation and enjoyment. It encourages involvement in competitive sport and provides children with opportunities to challenge themselves. As an RRR school we also believe that sport should help to embed values such as fairness, respect and sportsmanship.
The P.E curriculum aims to allow pupils to:
- develop competence to excel in a broad range of physical activities
- be physically active for sustained periods of time
- engage in competitive sports and activities
- lead healthy, active lives.
Our aim is to teach our pupils to:
- use running, jumping, throwing and catching in isolation and in combination
- play competitive games, modified where appropriate and apply basic principles suitable for attacking and defending
- develop flexibility, strength, technique, control and balance [for example, through athletics and gymnastics]
- perform dances using a range of movement patterns
- take part in outdoor and adventurous activity challenges both individually and within a team
- compare their performances with previous ones and demonstrate improvement to achieve their personal best.
- swim competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25 metres (KS2)
- use a range of strokes effectively [for example, front crawl, backstroke and breaststroke]
- perform safe self-rescue in different water-based situations
- live healthy lifestyles and appreciate the value of demanding physical activity and fitness
- to learn sporting values such as respect and fairness linked to our RRR curriculum.
Extra – curricular sports clubs and competition
The sports premium has allowed us to provide expert coach across the federation in games. This is a fantastic opportunity for children and teachers to learn from qualified coaches who provide high quality sports education. Teachers also receive training in order to develop their professional expertise.
Children take part in intra-school competitions in house teams, culminating in a school games day and sports afternoon in the summer term. We have entered our pupils in a range of inter-school competitions including football, cross country and cricket. We also showcase our year group dances on sports day. We organise an annual KS1 sports afternoon in conjunction with the Rotary Club and local schools to give KS1 pupils the opportunity to take part in competitive Sport.
At Fryern we aim to offer every child the opportunity to take part in extra-curricular sport . Some extracurricular sport is delivered by school staff but we also use outside experts to deliver clubs eg Sama Karate, multisports and Acro.
Our clubs have included:
- Sama Karate