Special Education Needs

Fryern Schools Special Educational Needs Information Report

The Federation of Fryern Infant and Junior Schools offers a positive, safe learning environment for its community, in which everyone has equal and individual recognition and respect. We celebrate success and are committed to the continuous improvement and fulfillment of potential in every child.

Fryern is an inclusive mainstream school where all children are valued equally, regardless of their abilities and behaviours.  All children are entitled to have access to a broad, balanced and relevant curriculum, which is planned to meet individual needs.

SENCo – Miss Sarah Roberts – adminoffice@fryern.net
SEN Governor – Paula Moorse

SEN Policy 2017-2018

Family information and services hub


Regulation Question Response
1.  The kinds of special educational needs for which provision is made at the school. What is Special Educational Needs?

A child has special educational needs (SEN) if he or she has learning difficulties or disabilities that make it harder for him or her to learn than most other children of about the same age.
Many children will have special educational needs of some kind during their education. Schools and other organisations can help most children overcome the barriers their difficulties present quickly and easily. A few children will need extra help for some or all of their time in school.So special educational needs could mean that a child has:

  • learning difficulties – in acquiring basic skills in school
  • emotional difficulties – making friends or relating to adults or behaving properly in school
  • specific learning difficulty – with reading, writing, number work or understanding information
  • sensory or physical needs – such as hearing or visual impairment, which might affect them in school
  • communication problems – in expressing themselves or understanding what others are saying
  • medical or health conditions – which may slow down a child’s progress and/or involves treatment that affects his or her education.

Children make progress at different rates and have different ways in which they learn best. Teachers take account of this in the way they organise their lessons and teach. Children making slower progress or having particular difficulties in one area may be given extra help or different lessons to help them succeed.

2.  Information, in relation to mainstream schools and maintained nursery schools, about the school’s policies for the identification and assessment of pupils with SEN How does the school know if children need extra help and what should I do if I think my child has SEN?

At Fryern children are identified as having Special Educational Needs through a variety of ways, including the following:

  • Concerns raised by a child working below expected levels for their age.
  • Screening tests carried on all children.
  • Liaison with the previous school, preschool, or previous class.
  • Concerns raised by a parent.
  • Teachers expressing concerns with a child’s behaviour or self-esteem.
  • Liaison with outside agencies eg physical difficulties.
  • Health issues with a child.
  How will I raise concerns if I need to?

•  Discuss your concerns about your child with either the class teacher, the deputy head teacher, the Head Teacher or the Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator as early as possible.

At Fryern we encourage parents or carers to discuss any concerns that they may have, as early as possible, so that the school is aware and can support the children in the most appropriate way.   We believe it is essential that parents and school work in partnership.

3.  Information about the school’s policies for making provision for pupils with SEN whether or not pupils have EHC plans, including –

a)  How the school evaluates the effectiveness of its provision for such pupils;


•  The class teacher continually assesses each child and notes areas where they are improving and where further support is needed.  As a school, we track children’s progress from entry at Year R through to Year 6, using a variety of different methods including standardised scores and reading and spelling ages.

• Children who are not making expected progress are identified through Review meetings with the Class Teacher and Deputy/Head Teacher.  In this meeting a discussion takes place concerning why individual children are experiencing difficulty and what further support can be given to aid their progression.

• When a child’s Personal Plan is reviewed by the class teacher, learning support assistant and pupil, comments are make against each target to show what progress the child has made.  If the child has not met the target, the reasons for this will be discussed, then the target may be adapted into smaller steps or a different approach will be tried to ensure the child does make progress.

  How do we know it has had an impact?

• We assess children before interventions are put into place and measure the progress children have made at the end of individual programmes. We have use several tests to measure progress depending on the type of need targeted.

• We measure children’s progress academically against national/age expectations and ensure they are catching up to their peers or age expectations.

•  We review individual targets and ensure the children are being successful.

•  Verbal or written feedback is given from the teacher to the parent and/or pupil.

•  Children may move off the SEN register when they have made sufficient progress.

Progress of children on the SEN register is reviewed regularly to ensure that they are supported in the most beneficial way.

b)  the school’s arrangements for assessing and reviewing the progress of pupils with SEN; Who will explain this to me?

•  The class teacher will discuss your child’s needs, support and progress at parent’s evening or at additional meetings.

•  For further information the SENCO is always happy to discuss your child’s progress and support in more detail.

Fryern School has an open door policy and parents and carers are always welcomed.

c)  the school’s approach to teaching pupils with SEN; How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?

• All children require the greatest possible access to a broad and balanced education.  Children with SEN require relevant and differentiated work. This is planned by the class teacher to match the needs of all children, including those with SEN.

What are the school’s approaches to differentiation and will that help my child?

• This means that all work within the class is pitched at an appropriate level to suit each child’s needs. On occasions this will mean targeted individual or small group work.  This results in all children being able to access all lessons enabling them to learn and progress.

d)  How the school adapts the curriculum and learning environment for pupils with SEN; Who will oversee plan and work with my child?

• The class teacher will oversee, plan and work with all children including those with Special Educational Needs. They will ensure that progress is made by every child in every area of the curriculum.

• The Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO) oversees all support and progress of any child requiring additional support across the school.

• There may be other adults in the classroom called Learning Support Assistants (LSA). These adults may work with your child individually or as part of a group, in addition to the children working with the class teacher.

At Fryern we value the importance of all children developing independence, whilst having the correct support to be able to learn.

e)  Additional support for learning that is available to pupils with SEN; How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to children’s SEN need?

• We ensure that all children’s needs are met so that they are able to learn.

• We have a team of LSAs who deliver programmes designed to meet individual needs

• We screen children in various ways to find out the most suitable way of supporting them and helping them to progress.  Support is then allocated according to need.

• All children at Fryern are adequately supported enabling them to access all areas of the curriculum.

f)  Activities that are available for pupils with SEN additional to those available in accordance with the curriculum. How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child will receive?

• The class teacher alongside the SENCo will discuss the child’s needs and which types of support would be appropriate.

• Different children will require different levels of support in order to bridge the gap to achieve expectations for their age.

Discussions with staff, pupils and parents concerning a child’s support continue throughout the year and the support is constantly reviewed.

g)  Support that is available for improving the emotional and social development of pupils with SEN; What is the pastoral, medical and social support available in the school?

• We are an inclusive school: we welcome and celebrate diversity.  All staff believe that children having high self-esteem is crucial to a child’s well-being.  We have a caring, understanding team looking after our children.  This may involve working alongside outside agencies such as Health and Social Services, and/or the Behaviour Support team.

• The schools have fully trained Emotional Literacy Support Assistants, (ELSAs) who work with children needing emotional and social support.  This includes helping children with feelings about themselves, friendship issues, social skills, anger management and recognising emotions in themselves and others.

• We have fully qualified paediatric first aiders on site.

  How does the school manage the administration of medicines?

• The school has a policy regarding the administration and managing of medicines on the school site.

• Parents need to contact the school if medication is recommended by Health Professionals to be taken during the school day.

• On a day to day basis the Admin Staff generally oversee the administration of any medicines that have been prescribed by professionals.

• As a staff we have regular training and updates of conditions and medication affecting individual children so that all staff are able to manage medical situation

  What support is there for behaviour, avoiding exclusion and increasing attendance?

• If a child has continuous behavioural needs or difficulties we keep record to identify patterns and causes for the behaviour.  Targets can then be set to help change and modify the child’s behaviour.  If necessary the school liaises with outside agencies for further advice and support.  After any behaviour incident we reflect with the child on the behaviour.  This helps us to identify possible reasons and causes as to why the incident happened and how the child can change their reactions to events and therefore minimise the need to exclude children.

• Attendance of every child is monitored on a daily basis by the Admin staff.  Lateness and absence are recorded and reported upon to the Head Teacher/Deputy Head. If a child’s attendance is poor or they are regularly late we make every effort to work with the family to establish reasons for this and offer support wherever we can. 100% attendance is acknowledged by certificates at the end of each term.

4)  In relation to mainstream schools and maintained nursery schools, the name and contact details of the SEN Co-ordinator (SENCo)  

The SENCo for both Schools is Miss Sarah Roberts. sroberts@fryern.net

Please either phone the school on 02380 254155 or email to make an appointment.

5)  Information about the expertise and training of staff in relation to children and young people with SEN and about how specialist expertise will be secured. What training have the staff supporting children with SEN had or are currently having?

• All qualified teachers and support staff receive regular internal and external training across a range of Special Educational Needs areas.  They are all highly skilled in supporting all children’s individual needs.

• Our ELSAs receive regular support from the Educational Psychologist.

• Our SENCos attend regular SENCo Circles with the Educational Psychologist, as well as the annual SEN Conference.

• All staff have had opportunities to access various Outreach Support Agencies.

• The School’s Strategic Plan identifies training needs. SEN is a whole school focus.

• Governors receive training and also are invited and regularly attend INSET Days.

  What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?

• All staff at Fryern have regular training across a range of areas.

• Our SENCos are qualified teachers and very experienced in all areas of SEN.

• As a school we work closely with any external agencies.  Subject to individual children’s needs we seek advice from and liaise with, professionals from a range of outside agencies including speech and language therapy service, occupational therapy service and educational psychology. We also liaise with the Children and Mental health agency.

6)  Information about how equipment and facilities to support children and young people with SEN will be secured How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom including school trips?

• All children are included in all parts of the school curriculum and we aim for all children to be included on school trips.  We will provide the necessary support to ensure that this is successful.

• A risk assessment is carried out prior to any off site activity to ensure everyone’s health and safety will not be compromised.

  How accessible is the school environment?

• No child will be refused admission because of a Special Educational Need, although there may be constraints on this admission due to the building or staff resources.  The school will make all reasonable adjustments to provide inclusive education and services for all those involved with the school.

• The school site is wheelchair accessible with a disabled toilet large enough to accommodate changing.

• Children are not placed on the Special Needs Register because English is their second language.  We liaise with the Ethic Minority Achievement Service who assists us in supporting our families with English as an additional language.

• Fire exits are clearly labelled.

7)  The arrangements for consulting parents of children with SEN about, and involving such parents in, the education of their child. How will I know how my child is doing and how will you help me to support my child’s learning?

What opportunities will there be for me to discuss my child’s progress?

•  We offer an open door policy where you are welcome any time to make an appointment to meet with either the class teacher or SENCo and discuss how your child is getting on.   We can offer advice and practical ways that you can help your child at home.

• We believe that your child’s education should be a partnership between parents and teachers, therefore we aim to keep communication channels open and communicate regularly, especially if your child has complex needs.

• If your child is on the SEN register they will have a Personal Plan (PP) which will have individual targets.  These targets are reviewed regularly and parents are given a copy of the PP.   These targets will reflect your child’s needs and the expectation is that the child will achieve the target by the time they are reviewed.

8)  The arrangements for consulting young people with SEN about, and involving them in, their education. How will my child be able to contribute their views?

• We are a Rights, Respecting school where we value and celebrate each child being able to express their views on all aspects of school life.  We have a school council which has an open forum for any issues or viewpoints to be raised.

• All children have conferencing time with their class teacher where their targets are discussed and next steps for learning are agreed upon.

At Fryern all children’s views regarding all parts of their school life are valued and listened to.  All children have regular opportunities in class to express and discuss their views, issues and opinions.

9)  Any arrangements made by the governing body or the proprietor relating to the treatment of complaints from parents of pupils with SEN concerning the provision made at the school. What should I do if I am concerned about way my child is being supported? If you have concerns about how your child’s needs are being met, you should discuss the problem with the class teacher and/or the Special Needs coordinator.  If the problem is not able to be resolved, you should contact the Head Teacher or Deputy Head who will be able to discuss the matter further.  If there is still an issue parents or carers may wish to contact the governor with special responsibility for special needs. The named governor with this responsibility is Paula Moorse.  After this stage, any unresolved complaint should be taken to the LEA.
10)  How the governing body involves other bodies, including health and social service bodies, local authority support services and voluntary organisations, in meeting the needs of pupils with SEN and in supporting the families of such pupils. How are the governors involved and what are their responsibilities?

• There is a named governor who has responsibility for Special Educational Needs at Fryern School. The Governor is Paula Moorse.

• The SENCO meets with this governor, regularly, to discuss the progress of the children with Special Educational Needs and general matters regarding SEN in the school. This information is then reported to the full governing committee.

The discussion does not refer to individual named children and confidentiality is always maintained.

• The SEN Governor is kept up to date with all areas of Special Educational Needs within the school and holds staff accountable.

11)  The contact details of support services for the parents of pupils with SEN, including those for arrangements made in accordance with clause 32 Who can I contact for further information?

• The first point of contact would be to make an appointment with your child’s class teacher to share your concerns.

• You could arrange to meet Miss Roberts our School SENCo.

If you would like advice from outside the school you can contact Parent Partnership- www3.hants.gov.uk/parentpartnership

  Who should I contact if I am considering whether my child should join the school? • Parents or carers should contact the school Admin Office to arrange to meet the Head Teacher Mrs Morrow or Deputy Head Miss Roberts (Junior) and Miss Piggin (Infants), who would willingly discuss how the school could meet your child’s needs.
  Who can the school contact on behalf of the parents for additional advice in supporting children with SEN?
  • School Nurse
  • Parent Partnership
  • Other agencies can be contacted directly EP/SALT/CAMHs
  • Admission Criteria
  • SENCO to support and facilitate access to external agencies
  • CPLO
  • GP
12)  The school’s arrangements for supporting pupils with SEN in transferring between phases of education or in preparing for adulthood and independent living How will the school prepare and support my child/young person to join the school, transfer to a new school?

• We encourage all new children to visit the school prior to starting.  For children with special educational needs we encourage further visits to assist with the familiarisation of the new surroundings.

• We write social stories and make up photograph books if this would help the child.

• When children are preparing to leave us for a new school, typically to go to junior or secondary education, we arrange additional visits for children with SEN.  At Fryern we work very closely together with teachers, parents and pupils, to ensure transition from Year 2 to Year 3 and Year 6 to secondary education is seamless, and that individual needs are catered for.  Additional visits for children with special educational needs are made to the junior or secondary school, where they take part in activities and meet up with older pupils. This gives the Year 2 and Year 6 pupils a chance to ask questions, find their way round the school and generally increases their confidence and removes anxieties about the transition.

We liaise closely with staff when receiving and transferring children to different schools ensuring all relevant paperwork is passed on and all needs are discussed and understood.

13)  Information on where the local authority’s local offer is published Where can I get further information about services for my child/young person?  Hampshire Local Offer